More about the PERC
The Ottawa Peace and Environment Resource Centre (PERC) is an incorporated, registered charity. It is primarily a volunteer-run, grassroots organization with a Board of Directors to govern its operations.
So why do we have the Peace and Environment Resource Centre, and what does it do?
The PERC exists to address several community needs:
- The need for alternative local media that address Peace and Environment issues;the mainstream press usually doesn't, or covers issues very superficially.
- The need for a resource centre where alternative publications are available to the public. Local libraries carry a few of these, but not very many.
- An outlet is needed for local groups to communicate with the public. Most groups are too small and financially poor to advertise, and they are ignored by the media.
- The public need to be involved in finding solutions to environmental and social problems.
To address these needs, the centre has set some goals:
- To create an informed public on Peace, Environmental and Social Justice Issues
- Community involvement in these issues
- Provide assistance to local groups in getting their information to the public
In order to meet our goals, the PERC has many activities, and provides several services:
- The Peace and Environment News (PEN), published 6 times a year, in which local groups can print articles and place free ads for meetings, events and so on.
- The upcoming E-PEN electronic newsletter, containing highlights of the PEN and online site, distributed through partner groups
- A website portal to Ottawa's environmental sector, featuring:
- highlights and archives of the PEN
- multimedia components
- an online resource library of environmental materials
- a directory of and links to local groups and resources
- Working with and supporting Ottawa area non-profits and place-based community groups through partnerships, web hosting, promotion, and cooperation
- Information handbooks, like the Bringing Nature to the City handbook (a wonderful resource for teachers)
- A resource centre with books, periodicals, and multimedia resources on environmental, peace, and social justice issues.
The PERC thanks the Community Foundation of Ottawa
and the Ottawa Sustainability Fund for their support
of our Practical Environmentalism: Energy Conservation for Low-Income Populations project
Offered in partnership with EnviroCentre