PERC Board of Directors
Call for applications: Board of Directors
The Peace and Environment Resource Centre is seeking dedicated and enthusiastic individuals to fill various positions on its Board of Directors.
· Publishing the Peace and Environment News (PEN) in print and online, 4 – 5 times per year. The PEN is now entering its 40th year of print.
· Maintaining a website for the purpose of promoting and improving public and member awareness and action on peace, social justice, and environmental issues
· Organizing PERCshops and educational opportunities
· Linking with and supporting other local community and non-profit groups in collaborative initiatives on social justice, peace, and the environment
· Maintaining physical and online resource libraries
As of May 26th, there will be several openings on our Board of Directors as current Directors’ terms end. The PERC Board of Directors provide governance, financial oversight, and overall accountability for our grassroots organization. Directors are asked to participate on committees (finance, programs, admin) according to their interests and skills. The full Board usually meets 5-6 times per year; committees may set additional meetings. Directors serve a 2-year renewable term and commit to 3 to 10 hours per month, depending on the general level of Board activity and involvement in sub-committees.
Expectations of Board members
· Be or become a member in good standing of the PERC. Membership is by donation and/or as an established, ‘core volunteer’ regularly giving 12 hours/month in volunteer time
· Be prepared for, and actively participate in board meetings and sub-committees
· have the ability to work within a consensus framework of decision-making;
· Be generally knowledgeable about and committed to peace, environment and social justice issues
· Maintain confidentiality
· Work collegially with other board members and ensure succession planning for Board of Directors
· Avoid any real or perceived conflict of interest
· Make a commitment to the mission, vision and values of the organization.
The PERC is looking for candidates with knowledge and experience in the following areas:
· Communications – journalism, social media, online and website management, print publication
· Finance - bookkeeping and financial management
· Fundraising and outreach – membership growth, event coordination, fundraising
· Governance and administration – non-profit experience or education
· Volunteer Management – engagement and management
Candidates with other applicable skills and experience are also encouraged to apply.
: May 21, 2014
We encourage applications from individuals who reflect the broad diversity of communities in Ontario.